Sunday, February 13, 2011

Our Lack of Death Awareness

Gungthang Tenpai Dronme said:
The thoughts that in this year and month
I will put right all my tasks and plans
And then start a perfect dharma practice
Is in fact the devil which brings all downfalls.
The lack of death awareness prevents one from undertaking the practice of dharma. This is very true: If one is not aware of the eventuality of death, one will be totally concerned and preoccupied with the affairs of this lifetime alone, and with actions that are just for the benefit of this lifetime. Such ventures may take all one's time and energy, but no matter how important they appear to be, since they are directly related to this lifetime alone, their benefits are limited--once one leaves the present body, their benefit ends. Even though one might have a best friend, when one has to leave the body, one cannot take the friend along.
...Think that after twenty or thirty years even the Dalai Lama will also be no more. While I am alive, there will be people who are, from the depths of their hearts, prepared to give their lives for my sake, but on the day when I have to leave, I cannot take even one among them with me. Neither will I be able to take any of my possessions, even the body which I have always preserved and protected. This also will be left behind. At that time of my death, what will benefit is only the positive seeds that are imprinted upon my consciousness. No other factors will help at that time. (p.106)
--from The Path to Bliss, 2nd Edition by H.H. the Dalai Lama, translated by Geshe Thupten Jinpa, edited by Christine Cox, published by Snow Lion Publications
The Path to Bliss, 2nd Edition